Do not worry if your feed or social media page stops fetching content to Smarp, the issue can be troubleshooted with some easy steps. The troubleshooting steps depends on the feed or page that is affected. Follow the guidelines below that corresponds to your feed.
Should you after reading this article still have questions regarding your feed or page not fetching, please reach out to Smarp Support from the button at the bottom of this page.
A LinkedIn page is not fetching
If your connected company LinkedIn page has stopped fetching content to Smarp, the cause is usually that the refresh token for LinkedIn has expired. Due to LinkedIn's API security measures, a connection between LinkedIn and Smarp is always timed and the connection expires after a certain set time. This means that the connected page needs to be reconnected in order for the content to begin fetching again. Unfortunately, Smarp cannot influence validity or duration of the refresh token as this is handled by LinkedIn.
Please follow the instructions here to connect your LinkedIn page to Smarp again.
If only some content is being fetched from your connected LinkedIn page but not all content, it might be that not all content on your LinkedIn page has a link attached to it. Smarp only fetches content from your LinkedIn page that has a link, as the content is always fetched from the link in the post rather than the post itself.
Please see below for the distinction between a link-post and a post without a link on LinkedIn:
This post above will be fetched from the LinkedIn page if it is connected to Smarp as there is a link in the post. You can see that there is a link in the post from the highlighted sections on the image above. The post in Smarp will be created from the data in this link. The post in Smarp will hence look like this:
Now take a look at this post below, here there is no link at all in the post in LinkedIn. The post is simply an image with text.
This post cannot be fetched to Smarp as there is no link from where Smarp can fetch any content. Hopefully this clarifies the difference between a link-post and post without a link.
RSS feed not fetching
If your RSS feed is not importing content to Smarp, there are a few steps to take to troubleshoot:
- Please first make sure your RSS feed is valid via this validator. Smarp does not support RSS feeds that do not validate. If your feed is a valid feed, move on to the next step.
The pubDate property in your feed adheres to any of the following formats. If it does not fit any of these formats then Smarp will not fetch the content:
- "Mon, _2 Jan 2006 15:04:05 MST"
- "Mon, _2 Jan 2006 15:04:05 -0700"
- "Mon Jan _2 15:04:05 2006" (ANSIC)
- "Mon Jan _2 15:04:05 MST 2006" (UnixDate)
- "Mon Jan 02 15:04:05 -0700 2006" (RubyDate)
- "02 Jan 06 15:04 MST" (RFC822)
- "02 Jan 06 15:04 -0700" (RFC822Z)
- "Monday, 02-Jan-06 15:04:05 MST" (RFC850)
- "Mon, 02 Jan 2006 15:04:05 MST" (RFC1123)
- "Mon, 02 Jan 2006 15:04:05 -0700" (RFC1123Z)
- "2006-01-02T15:04:05Z07:00" (RFC3339)
- "2006-01-02T15:04:05.999999999Z07:00" (RFC3339Nano)
- "Mon, 2, Jan 2006 15:4"
- "02 Jan 2006 15:04:05 MST"
- “Mon, 02 Jan 2006 15:04:05 Z”
- “Tue, 04 Jun 2019 12:17:00 BST”
- The date of your content has not been set in the future. Smarp will only fetch content from the present day. If the pubDate property has been set in the future, Smarp will not fetch the content until the day that has been set.
If content is fetched to Smarp from your feed but not the correct content, please note that Smarp fetches content from RSS feeds according to the following:
- The Post Title and Post Content are fetched from the information in the RSS feed. The title is fetched from the line in the RSS source that says 'title' and the content is fetched from the 'description' line.
- The Post Image is fetched from the information in the RSS feed if the source line corresponds to 'enclosure type = 'image/xxx''. If not, the image will be fetched from the link in the feed leading to the original website, not from the RSS feed source itself. You can see the link in the feed:
If your content is not displaying correctly, please make sure that the title, description and image are the correct ones from where Smarp fetches them.